Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Good Times...

This past weekend was culture packed, love it :) I was invited to my first Korean wedding which took place on Saturday. One of the Canadian teachers at E.C.C. married a former Korean teacher. The ceremony was pretty much as opposite from the traditional dutch weddings as you can get. I really can't explain it in a blog, but just so you can get an idea, it involved fog, confetti, and lasted about 15 minutes. Anyways, there was a nice buffet to follow which I took full advantage of :)

On Saturday one of my friends that I worked with in Montana arrived in Korea with her mother. They are here to pick up a new member of their family which is always exciting. Anyways, I was able to meet up with them on Sunday and spend the day together. It was a fun filled day in Seoul. We went to a Korean Theatre in the afternoon. It was great to hear some traditional Korean music and see some Korean dancing. There is so much to learn! The instruments they use and history of each form of music is very interesting. After the show we all headed outdoors and the performers formed a line and started dancing/skipping/and playing music. They invited some of us to join in so Jen (my friend) and I jumped it. Good times.
The performers wore Hanbok which is traditional Korean clothing; bright and beautiful! After the show we met up with a Korean family that they {Jen and her mom} knew from home. They were absolutely lovely. They took us to Korean House which is a very traditional Korean restaurant. It involved about 8 courses it seemed and a ton of side dishes. I ate eel for the first time, and I'm sure some other things I wasn't aware of.
Anyways I officially like Korean pumpkin soup and seaweed.
Great stuff. Korean food seems to be very healthy for you (for the most part), but extremely spicy. They also have different kinds of kimchi depending on the season. Winter kimchi is pretty good for the most part but I have yet to figure out what the differences are between the seasonal kimchi.
After we were stuffed we went to another Korean theatre show at the restaurant. There were some new acts that I hadn't seen in the previous show, but a lot of it was similar to what we had seen before. There were drummers, dancers, dancing drummers, singers, and many other musicians. It was great.
Work has been going well. I'm still doing pre-school which is going better. It's still pretty draining to do morning and afternoon/evening classes, but it's going alright. The children are starting to grow on me more and I think I'm getting a little more patient! (yay! ;)The weather has been alright. I'm a little disappointed I haven't seen much snow this winter but what do ya do. I guess that's about it for now. There's alot I still want to see and get involved in in the area but all in due time I suppose.
Oh, I also added a link to my photos on flickr, so if you're interested take a peak :)

1 comment:

T said...

Laura--I'm loving the blog... I viewed your photos, and all the places you've been are so familiar! I had my pic taken with the same dancers at the Korean House... Enjoy these next several months! --Tara