Monday, February 12, 2007

The Power of Avalon

So I realize it's been a little while since I last wrote in here, the reason being, a combination of both lack of time and lack of anything extremely exciting. I figure I would spare you all from reading a complete bland entry and wait until something at least a little entertaining happened. :)
Our school is switiching over from E.C.C to Avalon on March 5. The slogan is "The Power of Avalon" and yet I continue to associate it with Avon and Powerade...anyways everything here is blue and white and says Abolon in Korean (the Korean alphabet doesn't have a "v" sound). Our curriculum as well as length and size of classes are changing which hopefully will be good...hopefully :) We are moving into 80 minute classes and I don't know if I can hold students' attention for that long. We'll see.

The weather has been pretty warm. No major ice storms, snow storms, or any storms really, so I'm not missing the mid-west in regards to weather :) I'm still doing pre-school in the a.m. and el.ed in the evening. The kids have way more energy than me! oi.

Well I am feeling like I'm at my low with my stay here so far. The first couple months were great; full of new adventures, hikes, etc... but I think teaching these long days make me too tired on the weekends to do anything too adventurous. I have been visiting different churches in Seoul which has been great. There is a large English Ministry in Seoul called Onnuri so I've been checking out their 2 campuses. Hopefully I'll get more connected in the near future.

I still haven't had time to go to Holt yet but I have been involved with G.O.A.L which is an organization in Korea that helps connect Korean adoptees with fellow adoptees and also supplies a wide range of resources for adoptees (helping find families, jobs, community,..) So I've been getting a little more involved in that circle.

This upcoming weekend though is the main highlight of my week. I will finally be out of this country for a couple days and will be able to spend the weekend in Bejing with my girl Kychele over the Lunar New Years!! Great wall here I come! I'm super excited and hopefully I'll feel a little more refreshed when I return on Monday. I'm going on a guided tour so that should hopefully be good (less stressful....I get stressed out way to easily as most of you know! ) Anyways I should get rollin. I have taekwondo practice....I love it but man it's rough :)

2 comments:

maribeth said...

Laura,

Hey friend! I've just been catching up on your blog entries. It's been awhile since I checked it! Wow! What a lot of new and challenging experiences. I am so proud of you for taking all of this on - you Poortenga girls sure don't choose the easy way do you?! I'm excited with you to see what the Lord is going to teach you through all these different happenings in your life. Remember that I love you very much! Have you checked out Tara's blog lately? It's covered with pictures of the most adorable baby in the world - also made in Korea! Take care - you are amazing!

maribeth said...

Laura,

I have my own blog now - check it out at www.maribethvw.blogspot.com My daily adventures aren't nearly as exciting as yours! I'm really excited that Crew is coming to visit us next weekend! I continue to be so proud of you for taking on this current challenge! You are awesome! Mari