Monday, January 1, 2007

Cheers to 2007!

Well 2007 is here! It's always interesting to reflect on 2006 and see the journey I've been on. 2006 has especially been an exciting year---finishing undergrad at Calvin, having great friends get married, working at FMG, working in the mountains in Montana, being blessed with another niece, and wrapping the year up in South Korea. Love it! I'm looking forward to see how I grow throughout this next year and hopefully get some more travelling under my belt. There's a lot of opportunities to be taken advantage of out here, so bring it on :)

I received the new year in Gyeong-ju, which is near Busan (South-East part of the country). This was the capital city during the Silla Kingdom I travelled with Kathy Teacher and checked out the country down there. It was great to see farming land again and get away from the city.

I was able to visit the famous Buddhist temple, Bulguksa. This temple contains 7 of Korea's National treasures and is on the World Heritage List. It is gorgeous. The roofing is beautiful along with the stone pagodas. yup. I'll hopefully post more images later on a website. The Seokguram Grotto is also nearby (large Buddha in the mountains) but I didn't have time to hike to it. I believe most of it was destroyed during the Japanese occupation though. The mountain ranges are a beautiful sight though. oi.



We also checked out the tombs where Silla Kings were buried. (It was a tomb park actually). I really liked this pic of the tree on the tomb... reminded me of the tree from Der Kleine Prinz.

anyways.
There is always so much to see and of course not enough time. I'll hopefully go back to this area during the spring so I can see the cherry blossoms! :) I'm already excited!
Kathy and I then headed back home. I had my first chance to drive in Korea...crazy. I realize I'm not an aggressive enough driver; my chevy use to be intimidating enough. Driving was fun but it was a long haul; I think it was about a 6 hour drive.

Well, this week I don't have any pre-school classes which is nice :) I can sleep in and relax. I guess there's not much more to write so I'll be signing off for now.

I hope you are all having a great start to the New year ;)

No comments: