Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Why I like living abroad....hmmmm....

Well I'm writing this post partially because I' haven't written in about 2 months....and partially in response to an e-mail I received from Aclipse Chungdahm Learning, which requested that I write about 5 reasons why I like living overseas. Well...let's see. I've been living in Korea (mainly Seoul) off and on for about 2 years now. There are times where living in this city and culture can be very tumultuous. This may be more so the case for me because I'm a country girl at heart...but who knows. But in response to living overseas in general, it definitely has it's pro's.

1. You're constantly learning and observing a new culture. Even if you don't speak the language, just by observing the people and their demeanor fills you in on a lot. How the youth act around their elders, boyfriends around girlfriends, children around parents, natives around foreigners etc... Granted, your conclusion may not always be accurate due to the cultural barrier, but you can still learn a lot. Everyone has a different experience.

2. It's an achievement. The fact that you went to a foreign country not only to visit but to live in, is quite an accomplishment in and of itself. It takes guts.

3. One thing I've really enjoyed is being in a country with a long and interesting history. Coming from a country that was only discovered roughly 500 years ago is nothing in comparison to one that began in 2333 B.C. It's interesting to see how the history is integrated into the modern society.

4. New experiences...obviously. It's great to learn new sports, experience new food, new drinks, new ideas. It was great studying a martial art in the country where it was orginated. The fact that you are living in the country gives you more time to fully embrace the new experiences.

5. Easy access to other countries. The worlds your oyster. While I've been living in Korea I've had the opportunity to travel internationally during vacation. Granted it depends where you are living, but Korea is a great central location to access other countries. A lot of teachers go to Japan for a couple days. Personally I went to Vietnam, China, and N. Korea when I had time off.

Okay, this has been a longer entry than I anticipated. I'll write a new entry in a couple days when I have more time and more pics! :) Hope this entry helped for those that are debating about living abroad!

No comments: