Monday, December 18, 2006

Oh Korea :)



So I started pre-school last week monday which has been very interesting to say the least. :) me teaching 4 year olds that don't speak English...good times. I now have about 10-12 classes a day (10a.m.-9p.m.ish) of children from the age of 4-16. I'm learning a lot about patience (or maybe realizing I lack in that area:) It has been a necessary learning experience for me I suppose :)
Things here are growing on me by the minute which is great! I am finding my place here and have been able to get out of the Bupyeong area which is very nice. I went to church with a friend this past sunday and met the music director who is trying to convince me to sing in his church choir. The pastor at the church went to Calvin Seminary and all 3 of his children went to calvin as well! Small world :) It's crazy to talk to him about familiar streets with him. I'm having difficulty finding an English service that I enjoy which is frustrating, but it's nice to have different musical opportunites to choose from. :)


So after the long week of teaching I took off for the weekend. A couple of us went snowboarding/skiing on the east side of the country. Yeah :)....hmmm where do I start with that adventure. I attempted snowboarding for the first time, which was a sore but fun experience. I had 2 different teachers throughout the day, neither of which spoke fluent english...actually hardly any english at all...but I learned a lot!

This is a pic of my friend Mason and myself taking a breather (I can only take so much falling in one day!) Everyone out here snowboards and are VERY fashionable while they do it. Gotta love Korea. :)

I then went to a concert at Seoul Arts Center with a friend and was able to hear some Mahler pieces, one of which was an excerpt from Goethe's Faust Act II! yay! :) ( It was great to hear classical music again. It involved the voice faculty from Seoul Nat'l Univ. along with a full orchestra, a children's choir and about 200 other voices...a little taste of heaven ;) ahhh....

So this weekend we have a big work christmas party which involves all the English institutes/Hagwon's in this area and supposedly we have a talent competition between all the schools. We are singing O holy night and I'm giving a voice lesson to the faculty tomorrow..hmm... :) We are also doing a dance routine...hmmm...should be interesting. Supposedly there will be around 2,500 people...I'll let ya know how that goes ;)

We only get Christmas Day off which is too bad, but I'll take what I can get. The plan is to go on a snowboarding trip for the weekend with some friends. Should be good :) Not as good as being home by any means though :(

Alright I'm callin it a night. Teaching takes a lot out of ya!

oh, we had our first major snow a couple days ago...it made me really happy :) This is right outside my apartment :)

1 comment:

T said...

I wish I were in Korea!!! :-) I'm missing it a lot these days... Merry Christmas!